Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Grace Jones - FAME


Grace Jones - FAME
Originally uploaded by n69n

FAME
#105 in my RECORD COLLECTION series.
Dedicated to Richard Bernstein.

In 8th grade, we took a class trip to Raleigh.
It was really the first city I'd seen since my parents had picked up & moved us from St. Petersburg, FL to the backwoods of Balsam, NC.
I was so excited! It seemed anything could happen!
Maybe someone would "discover" me & I would never have to go back home!
But my biggest anticipation was to go RECORD SHOPPING!!!!!
This was long before internet or being able to just order up any record you might want. This was when you had to EARN your music.
I didn't have any kind of 'informed' taste, I just looked for cover art that intrigued me,
CAMELOT MUSIC in some North Carolina Mall; that's were I first found Ms Grace Jones.
I didn't really know who she was, but Richard Bernstein's cover of FAME hit me on such a deep elemental, undeniably GAY level, I knew I had to get it!
I was a a kid stuck in the hillbilly hills, with no clue how to break out, and I was desperate for direction.
I STUDIED that record.... "A TOM MOULTON MIX"... I didn't know what it meant, but it sounded erotic!

Available as PRINT: www.redbubble.com/people/norncutson/art/6957057-1-fame

Available as T: www.redbubble.com/people/norncutson/t-shirts/6957060-1-fame

No comments:

Post a Comment

*thank you*